Other Fasting Protocols
For fasting I suggest the Modified Fasting protocol, I find it effective and easy to do on a regular basis but there are many good ways to fast. These fasts are generally more difficult but they can be good for someone who wants to be more aggressive. We should go over it together before you decide to do it.
These fasting protocols do not include what to eat just when to eat.
People have done this with all sorts of different diets; however it would be better if you did it using proteins and healthy fats such as olive oil, Medium Chain Triglycerides MCT oils, nut butters, eggs, avocados, olives and a variety of proteins such as chicken, fish, beef, pork, turkey etc.
Also include cooked vegetables especially vegetables that grow above ground.
Fruit is OK but in the long run it is better to eat less of anything sweet. The necessity for lesser fruit will vary from person to person depending on how chronic their health conditions are.
For food choices follow the suggestions on the Improving Your Diet page. However, even if your food choices are not the best, eating them in these fasting protocols will be of benefit.
- It is always good to avoid dairy such as cheese, milk, and yogurt.
- It is always a good idea to avoid sugar.
- It is always a good idea to avoid sugar.
Protocol #1 Feast and Fast
If you want to do this with specific calorie restrictions see the Modified Fasting page for details.
If you work out during this fast it will help to build muscle.
If you are not a work out person you can do 10 minutes if high intensity aerobics for 10 minutes once a day. This would be jumping jacks, squat thrusts, stair climbing with a high heart rate (so long as your health permits it). 1 minute on one minute off for 10 minutes total.
- Men fast for 16 hrs
- Women fast for 14 hrs
- Absolutely no food during this time. (Or do the modified fast with a little food).
- Consume daily calories in the remaining 8 hrs for men, 10 hrs for women.
- Best way to do this is to do the majority of the fasting when sleeping, and continue to fast for 6 hrs.
- Must be consistent with feeding window. Which means that if you start eating at 12 and stop at 8, you must be consistent with this every day. If you start at 2 and end at 10 then do that every day.
Protocol #2 The Eat-Stop-Eat Fasting Method (24 hr fast)
Experts suggest that you shouldn’t get carried away with the hunger pangs of the fast and avoid finishing the fasting period with a very big meal. The best time to start this is at night or a busy day.
- During 24 fasting period no food or drink can be taken. Can consume water.
- After 24 hrs, can resume normal eating habits.
- Can adjust timing based on changes in your schedule.
- Can do strength training during fast.
- Pros: Cuts down overall caloric intake, without restricting calories on a daily basis. More long term.
- Cons: Can be difficult for many. Fatigue and headaches may set in. Could entice some to binge immediately after fasting and lose self-control.
Protocol #3 The 20 Hour Fast
This protocol is ideal for those who don't want to do a complete 24 hr fast, but still want the benefits.
- Fast for 20 hrs a day.
- Then consume a large meal in the night or in the day depending when you start.
- Ideally it would be best to start at night while you are sleeping and into the early morning and late afternoon of the next day.
- Eating at night triggers the para-sympathetic nervous system helping your body recuperate, relax, and encourage digestion.
- After fasting all day and eating at night, it helps the body burn more fat, produce hormones, and stimulate the growth of new muscle.
Protocol #4 Combination Fast
Ideal for those who are not satisfied with the first three protocols. It combines the best part of the previous protocols.
You may end up cheating on one of the days of the week when you don’t fast, and is then followed by a 36 hour fast. After the 36 hr. fast the remaining days of the week will be split between other fasting protocols in the combination.
- Suggested to be done during the busiest days as a distraction from hunger.
- Can use free weights to rip your muscles.
- Easier for the body to adjust and reset itself to a regulated time frame and get the the most benefits.
Protocol #5 The High calorie Low Calorie Diet
- Alternating days of eating few calories (500-1000) and days of eating regularly consumed calories (1800-2500).
- High calories Women consume 1800, Men consume 2500
- Low Calories day women consume 500, and men 1000. Cut between 20% and 35% of regular calories.
- Experts suggest that you go for meal replacement shakes that contain most or all the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs while you are fasting. To be sipped throughout the day and not as a meal
- Easier way to lose weight, cut fat, and build muscle.
- Be careful not to binge on normal days.
- Don't eat any calories while you are in the fasting phase.
- However, coffee (without sugar/cream) is OK. Tea is better, green tea will help with energy and burn fat.
- Don't let yourself get bored during the fasting, let it be a time to get productive. Keep yourself busy.
- Meal frequency during the feeding window may be irrelevant. You should aim at limiting it to three meals.
- If you workout, break your fast after working out. Consume the most of your calories post-workout.
- Try to be as consistent as possible with your feeding window.
- Each protocol of intermittent fasting has it's own strength and choosing one should depend on your schedule, health status, and capabilities.